Skip to Main navigation Skip to Left navigation Skip to Main content Skip to Footer

University of Minnesota Extension

Extension > Extension in your Community > Kanabec > 4-H > Articles > Animal ID Deadline Approaching

print icon email icon share icon

Animal ID Deadline Approaching

Who needs to ID?  Anyone grades 3+ planning to to show one of the following specie of animals:  Rabbit, Poultry, Swine, Beef, Sheep, Dairy, Horse, Dairy Goat, Meat Goat, Llama, Dog.  Cloverbuds (Grades K-2) do NOT have to ID their animals.  

Why do we ID our animals?  #1 - for easy tracking and identification back to the proper owner.  #2 - To maintain compliance with the Minnesota Board of Animal Health policies regarding animal exhibitions.  #3 - To stay in compliance with Minnesota 4-H policies and procedures. 

How do I officially ID my animal(s)?  Animal ID packets were mailed to actively enrolled 4-H members the first week in March.  If you did not receive yours or misplaced it:

  • Visit the Minnesota 4-H Animal ID Website to download ID forms, leases and information sheets for each animal type.
  • Read about county specific information related to your animal species in the ID letters at the bottom of this page.
  • Submit paper/hard-copy ID's to the Extension Office by May 15th at 4:30pm or electronically through your family profile on 4HOnline by May 15th at 11:59pm.     

Animal ID Quick Start Guide for 4HOnline

4HOnline Animal ID User Guide - Detailed

Animal ID "How to" Video

How do I get my eartags?

  • Market lambs and goats will be weighed and tagged at the Kanabec County spring ID & weigh-in day on Saturday, May 12 from 9-11am at the Kanabec County Fairgrounds. 
  • All other species may pick up ear tags at the Extension Office (18 North Vine Street, Mora) anytime between now and May 15th. 
  • Scrapie tag/tattoo information for sheep/goats may be obtained through the Minnesota Board of Animal Health.  

What if I don't own animals?  Can I show an animal belonging to someone else?  Minnesota 4-H allows members to lease projects from friends, family or neighbors if they do not own their own animal, but 4-H members are expected to be working with that animal beginning May 15th.  Minnesota 4-H Animal Lease Agreement  *Please note:  Only breeding and companion-type animals may be leased - No market projects!  Please contact the Extension Office with any questions on leasing.

What happens if I don't ID my animals or miss the ID deadline?  

Animals not properly identified will not be eligible earn higher than a blue ribbon at the Kanabec County Fair AND they will be ineligible to advance to any further show, including State Fair, Northeast Livestock Show, State Horse Show, State Dog Show, etc.

4-H members have an opportunity to file a once-in-a lifetime exemption if they miss the ID deadline.  This exemption must be filed within one week of the May 15th deadline and must be submitted to the Kanabec County Extension Office.  An accepted exemption would allow the 4-H member and their animal to still be eligible for pink/purple ribbons at fair, the Kanabec County 4-H Auction and advancement to further shows. 


Contact the Extension Office with any further questions! 



Laura Ambrose
County 4-H Program Coordinator
(320) 679-6340
  • © Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy