University of Minnesota Extension

Extension > Extension in your Community > Scott > County Personal Finance Educator > Articles > Don’t have access to a traditional retirement savings vehicle through your employer?

print icon email icon share icon

Don’t have access to a traditional retirement savings vehicle through your employer?

calculator, pencil, glasses, coffee and retirement plan folio

Shawna Faith Thompson, Financial Capability Educator and Sarah Louise Butler, Financial Empowerment Educator

Start saving with myRA, a new retirement savings account from the United States Department of Treasury.

  • No cost or fees
  • No complicated investment options
  • No risk of losing money

Millions of Americans aren’t saving—or aren’t saving enough—for their retirement. myRA offers a simple, safe, and affordable way for people, especially those who don’t have access to a retirement savings plan at work, to get started.

myRA is a Roth IRA retirement savings account with no start-up cost and no fees. myRA has no minimum contribution requirement, so people can contribute the amount that best fits their budget.

Contributions to myRA accounts are invested in a new United States Treasury security, which safely earns interest at the same variable rate as investments in the government securities fund for federal employees. This investment is backed by the United States Treasury and the account carries no risk of losing money.

People can fund their myRA account directly from their paycheck, or from a personal account, such as a checking or savings account, or by directing some or all of their federal tax refund to their account when they file their taxes.

myRA can be a first step

myRA can help people without access to a retirement savings plan get started saving, but it is not intended to be the only way they save for retirement. myRA is not a replacement for 401(k)s or other types of employer-sponsored retirement savings plans. People can have a maximum account balance of $15,000, or a lower balance for up to 30 years. When either of those limits is reached, savings will be transferred or rolled over into a private-sector Roth IRA where people can continue to grow their savings.

Taken from the US Department of Treasury myRA website.


Shawna Thompson
Extension Educator, Financial Capability
(952) 466-5317
  • © Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.